Dinosaur excavation sites of china-In danger
Beijing: Flooding in north eastern China has inundated famous dinosaur excavation sites and a local museum, as workers worry dinosaur fossils may be swept away.
All four dinosaur excavation sites, located at the foot of the mountains in Jiayin County, Heilongjiang Province, have been immersed in flood water from the Heilong River, state-run Xinhua news agency reported today, quoting Liu Min, as per sayings ofdirector of the Dinosaur National Geology Park`s administration centre .
There are dinosaur fossils still under the excavation sites, which could turn loose and be washed away after being soaked for a long period of time, a park keeper said.
The fossils are not regenerative and the losses caused by the flood would be inestimable, said the worker.
In recent years, the country built dikes near the mountains, but they failed to resist the flood, Liu said.
With an area of 38 square km, the park opened to visitors in 2002. Several hundred fossilised dinosaur skeletons are believed to be buried underground.
Flooding from the river has also inundated the Heilong River Basin Museum, which is located on an island in Luobei County.
Flood water began to enter the museum on August 17 and reached over one metre deep in some first floor rooms today.
More than 2,000 articles on the first floor have been moved to the second floor, said Zhao Yong, curator of the museum.
The water level of the Heilong River in Luobei was 2.01 metres higher than the warning level, surpassing the previous 1984 record by 24 cm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why