Diplomat confirms Iran nuke upgrade
Vienna: A senior diplomat is confirming Tehran`s announcement that it has started upgrading its nuclear programme.
He says that UN officials just back from Iran saw new machines positioned to vastly accelerate output of material usable both for reactor fuel and nuclear warheads.
The diplomat said on Thursday that the officials saw a small number of advanced centrifuges for enriching uranium at the Natanz plant southeast of Tehran. His comments follow Iran`s announcement the day before.
But while Iran said installation had begun, the diplomat said the officials only saw machines positioned for installation yesterday.
The machines are much faster than ones now enriching. Iran says it only wants reactor fuel but the centrifuges can also produce fissile warhead material.
The diplomat demanded anonymity because his information was confidential.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins