Discrimination probe against Harvard ends
Washington: The US authorities have ended a probe into whether elite Harvard and Princeton universities discriminate against Asian-Americans in admissions, after an Indian-American student withdrew his complaint in this regard.
The Education Department`s Office for Civil Rights had stared the investigation following the complaint from the Indian-American student from California that these two premier American universities discriminate against Asian-Americans.
The student was rejected at both schools, despite sitting near the top of his high school class.
The OCR decided to end the probe after the complainant withdrew the charges against the Harvard University. "We are pleased that the complaint against Harvard has been withdrawn and that OCR has closed the case. Harvard College welcomes talented students from all backgrounds, including Asian-Americans," Harvard spokesman Jeff Neal said.
"Our review of every applicant`s file is highly individualised and holistic, as we give serious consideration to all of the information we receive and all of the ways in which the candidate might contribute to our vibrant educational environment and community," Neal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says