Disgraced Israeli ex-president says he`s a `wreck`
Jerusalem: Israel`s former president, Moshe Katsav, said in interviews published on Wednesday that he is a
"wreck" after being sentenced to seven years in prison for
rape, but insisted he was innocent and vowed never to stop
fighting to clear his name.
The remarks, published in the Yediot and Maariv dailies,
were Katsav`s first public statements since Israel`s Supreme
Court rejected his appeal last week.
The court upheld a ruling that Katsav, 65, raped a former
employee while he was a Cabinet minister and sexually harassed
two other women during his presidency from 2000 to 2007. He is
to report to prison next month to start serving his sentence.
In the interviews, Katsav described himself as a victim
of a grave injustice, saying that while he respected the
judges` decision, he believed they made a mistake by accepting
his victims` testimony over his own.
Katsav also suggested he was the victim of a conspiracy,
telling Yediot that "there were also politicians who stood
behind the accusations against me."
The former president has repeatedly professed his
innocence since the accusations against him first surfaced
five years ago. However, for the first time, he apologised if
any women were hurt by his actions.
Nonetheless, he said he would never stop fighting to
prove his innocence."The justice of my cause will come to
light even if it is after my death," he told Yediot.
One of Katsav`s lawyers has expressed concerns that
Katsav could be suicidal, and Yediot said that rumours spread
in the ex-president`s hometown after the court ruling that he
had taken his life.
"I didn`t commit suicide and I don`t intend to commit
suicide," Katsav told Yediot. "I have promised my family to be
strong, but even iron that takes the kind of blows that I have
taken over the past five years ultimately bends."
Israel`s presidency is a largely ceremonial office,
typically filled by a respected elder statesman expected to
rise above politics and serve as a moral compass. Most
political power is concentrated in the hands of the prime
The case against Katsav, which broke in 2006 after he
told police one of his accusers was trying to extort money
from him, shocked Israelis by portraying a man widely seen as
a bland functionary as a predatory boss who repeatedly used
authority to force sexual favours.
Katsav reluctantly resigned two weeks before his
seven-year term was to expire in 2007 under a plea bargain
that would have allowed him to escape jail time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'