Disputed Kuril Islands `our land`: Medvedev
Moscow: Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Friday said Japan should realise Moscow would not give up
disputed Pacific islands, proposing instead to consider
creating a free economic zone there.
"All the South Kuril Islands are Russia`s territory,"
Medvedev said in a live end-of-the-year television interview.
"That`s our land, we should take all appropriate
decisions there, we should rebuild the Kurils, do everything
that people live like humans there. I personally promised them
Medvedev caused an uproar in November when he became
the first Russian leader to visit one of the disputed islands
known as Kunashir in Russian and Kunashiri in Japanese.
The visit caused the worst diplomatic crisis in
bilateral ties in years and became the subject of talks with
Kan last month in Japan.
The row has prevented Russia and Japan from signing a
peace treaty to formally end World War II hostilities,
impeding the development of ties -- and the islands -- to
their full potential.
Home to some 19,000 people, the islands are rich in
gold and silver and lie in waters abundant in marine life.
The islands` infrastructure however is crumbling or
nearly non-existent and most Russian residents eke out a
meager living there.
Medvedev said that Russia and Japan could consider
pursuing joint economic projects at the disputed islands, in
his most detailed comments yet on his vision for the remote
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence