Disputes delay unveiling of new Iraq cabinet
Baghdad: Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki will not announce Iraq`s new government as expected on Monday, a spokesman for the parliamentary speaker said.
The delay resulted from continuing disputes over the distribution of ministries, lawmakers said.
Maliki had been expected to announce his cabinet choices before a session of Parliament on Monday, ending a more than nine-month wait for a new government after a March election that failed to produce a clear winner.
"The work schedule of today`s session does not include any ... announcement of the cabinet," said Omar al-Mashhadani, media secretary for speaker Osama al-Nujaifi.
Ahmed al-Oraibi, a lawmaker for the Sunni-backed Iraqiya political coalition, said political leaders were expected to sort out the lingering disputes later on Monday, but other officials said resolving the problem could take longer.
"The cause of the delay is internal disputes within the Iraqiya bloc and within the (Maliki`s) National Alliance over the distribution of posts," Oraibi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir