Dissident artist Ai Weiwei to continue exposing China
Washington: Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei has said that he is going to continue his revolt against Chinese Government officials and expose the authoritarian regime.
Weiwei, an artist known as China`s Andy Warhol, has been beaten and even held in secret detention for his efforts to reveal his homeland`s oppression of its people.
According to ABC News, in 2009, while Weiwei was in the western city of Chengdu to testify at the trial of a fellow activist, he said Chinese police visited him at 3 am in his hotel room, and he recorded them with his own camera punching him in the head.
As he was escorted out of his hotel room, he tweeted the picture on Twitter, which went viral in seconds.
“The only way to do it, to win the battle, is to let the world know what is happening,” he said.
Today, the artist lives under constant surveillance. Cameras, put in place by Chinese authorities, line the street outside of his studio. He said there are 15 cameras on his street, tracking his every move, the paper said.
“Of course we are watched. My phone is tapped,” Weiwei said.
Although Weiwei`s Twitter feed is blocked in China, but like many others, he gets around the so-called firewall, and calls it as a ‘weapon of choice’ against the Chinese government. Before 2005, the artist said he had never touched a computer keyboard, the paper said.
In a new documentary about Weiwei`s life called "Never Sorry," director Alison Klayman seeks to show how this artist became an enemy of the state after he followed him for three years.
“I don`t think he was ever safe then, and I don`t think he is safe now,” the paper quoted Klayman, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3