Do not disturb, says Malaysian model sentenced to caning
Kuala Lumpur: Tired of the media glare and concerned groups who come inquiring, a Malaysian part-time model sentenced to caning for drinking in public has issued a "do not disturb" notice through her lawyers.
Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, who was fined RM 5,000 (USD 1,468) and ordered to be given six strokes of the rotan after pleading guilty to drinking beer at a hotel, has appointed several lawyers to preserve her privacy and that of her family.
Kartika said she would not hesitate to take legal action against anyone who disturbs her peace and that of her family.
She is resigned to the sentence and wants it to be carried out quickly.
Many individuals, politicians, government organisations and non-governmental organisations have met her and her family lately, she complained in a statement issued on Wednesday by her lawyers.
This, she said, had occasionally disturbed her and her family`s life and she had been urged to do things she did not want to do.
"As such, I give notice that I do not want to be disturbed by any individual, politician, government organisation and non-governmental organisation and any meeting that has, is and will be planned, and any communication with me and my family should be stopped immediately," said Kartika.
The statement was issued through the legal firm of Adham and Associates here, New Straits Times newspaper said.
In her statement, she said she very much regretted the offence and was remorseful. "I will not hold anyone responsible for carrying out the caning."
Kartika, 33, was sentenced by the Pahang state`s Kuantan Syariah High Court on July 20 after pleading guilty. Drinking in public is forbidden for Muslims in Malaysia.
The incident occurred on July 11 last year.
Media reports say the waitress who served her has also been sentenced and given similar punishment.
Her case is to come up for appeal.
On August 24, the caning was postponed by Pahang Syariah High Court judge Abdul Rahman Yunus out of respect for the month of Ramzan, Bernama, the official news agency said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs