Do not misjudge China`s military power: PLA Gen
Beijing: Amidst military tensions with its neighbours, a top Chinese General has warned countries in conflict with China not to underestimate its will to safeguard its sovereignty or its "military`s staunch power" to protect Beijing`s core national interests.
Speaking at a discussion to strengthen maritime struggle and maritime security cooperation conducted by People`s Liberation Army (PLA) yesterday, Gen Qi Jianguo, Deputy Chief of General Staff, said no country should underestimate China`s determination to safeguard territorial integrity.
"He stressed in his speech that countries cannot underestimate the Chinese nation`s strong will of safeguarding its state sovereignty, cannot underestimate Chinese government`s firm determination of safeguarding its territorial integrity and cannot underestimate Chinese military`s staunch power of safeguarding the core national interests", a brief report in state run People`s Daily online said.
His comments followed growing military tensions between China and a host of its neighbours, specially Japan and South East Asian countries over maritime disputes.
China is also exercised by US new defence doctrine shifting majority of its military assets to Asia Pacific.
Gen Qi, who was elevated to the Deputy Chief rank in the recent shuffle after a once-in-a-decade leadership change of the ruling Communist Party of China (CPC), evinced interest in improving defence ties with India during his talks with the Indian Defence team headed by Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma here last month.
The 2.3 million strong PLA is now headed by new CPC leader Xi Jinping who would be taking over as President next month following the retirement of Hu Jintao.
With him, a new political administration formally takes over power replacing the decade old structure headed by Hu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency