Doctor held in Italy for selling teenager`s baby
Rome: A gynaecologist has been arrested in a southern Italian city for allegedly selling a teenaged girl`s baby to a childless couple for 25,000 euros.
The gynaecologist, named by Naples daily Il Mattino as Andrea Cozzolino, persuaded the teenaged girl not to have an abortion but to give birth to the baby in an exclusive private clinic near the city of Caserta where he worked.
The girl filed a complaint with police when she discovered that the clinic had registered the baby boy in her family`s name, although the doctor had promised her the baby would be adopted by the couple. The incident reportedly took place in October 2011.
The teenager is under investigation for violating Italy`s adoption and fostering laws after she had the baby removed from the couple and placed in an orphanage.
The childless couple, named Carmela Giordano and Elio Miranda, from Salerno province, were ordered to report to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks