Doctor held in Italy for selling teenager`s baby
Rome: A gynaecologist has been arrested in a southern Italian city for allegedly selling a teenaged girl`s baby to a childless couple for 25,000 euros.
The gynaecologist, named by Naples daily Il Mattino as Andrea Cozzolino, persuaded the teenaged girl not to have an abortion but to give birth to the baby in an exclusive private clinic near the city of Caserta where he worked.
The girl filed a complaint with police when she discovered that the clinic had registered the baby boy in her family`s name, although the doctor had promised her the baby would be adopted by the couple. The incident reportedly took place in October 2011.
The teenager is under investigation for violating Italy`s adoption and fostering laws after she had the baby removed from the couple and placed in an orphanage.
The childless couple, named Carmela Giordano and Elio Miranda, from Salerno province, were ordered to report to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!