Doctor held in Italy for selling teenager`s baby
Rome: A gynaecologist has been arrested in a southern Italian city for allegedly selling a teenaged girl`s baby to a childless couple for 25,000 euros.
The gynaecologist, named by Naples daily Il Mattino as Andrea Cozzolino, persuaded the teenaged girl not to have an abortion but to give birth to the baby in an exclusive private clinic near the city of Caserta where he worked.
The girl filed a complaint with police when she discovered that the clinic had registered the baby boy in her family`s name, although the doctor had promised her the baby would be adopted by the couple. The incident reportedly took place in October 2011.
The teenager is under investigation for violating Italy`s adoption and fostering laws after she had the baby removed from the couple and placed in an orphanage.
The childless couple, named Carmela Giordano and Elio Miranda, from Salerno province, were ordered to report to police.
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Four arrested, says Prakash Javadekar
- SC rejects TRAI's plea on IUC case from Gujarat High Court to Delhi HC
- Chairman Hamid Ansari asks TMC MP Sukhendu Sekhar Roy to leave Rajya Sabha – Know why
- Maruti Suzuki sales jump 13% in April at 1,26,569 units
- PHOTO: Mumbai Indians' Jonty Rhodes in 'Pujari' avatar