Doctor held in Italy for selling teenager`s baby
Rome: A gynaecologist has been arrested in a southern Italian city for allegedly selling a teenaged girl`s baby to a childless couple for 25,000 euros.
The gynaecologist, named by Naples daily Il Mattino as Andrea Cozzolino, persuaded the teenaged girl not to have an abortion but to give birth to the baby in an exclusive private clinic near the city of Caserta where he worked.
The girl filed a complaint with police when she discovered that the clinic had registered the baby boy in her family`s name, although the doctor had promised her the baby would be adopted by the couple. The incident reportedly took place in October 2011.
The teenager is under investigation for violating Italy`s adoption and fostering laws after she had the baby removed from the couple and placed in an orphanage.
The childless couple, named Carmela Giordano and Elio Miranda, from Salerno province, were ordered to report to police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price