Documents reveal $150,000 Mafia plan to kill Fidel
Washington: A CIA document outlining a Mafia-connected plan to assassinate Cuban leader Fidel Castro for USD 150,000 are among thousands of Robert F Kennedy documents that have been made public.
The National Archives and Records Administration and the John F Kennedy Presidential Library in Boston released some 2,700 pages of documents Kennedy compiled as attorney general from 1961 to 1964, offering a glimpse into Cold War decision-making.
According to the Daily Mail, the documents provide an insight into the personal thoughts of the era`s key figures, historians said. The seven boxes of newly-released material include telegrams, reports, meeting transcripts and handwritten notes by Kennedy, some with doodles and quotes in the margins.
“It gives you a sort of insight into what was on his mind, what he doodled,” journalist and historian Michael Dobbs, who blogs for Foreign Policy, said.
One page, sandwiched between lined pages of notes on the Bay of Pigs invasion, includes a sketch of the Liberty Bell with a summarized quote from a Polish World War II memorial in Italy. One CIA document offers a profile of Castro: It calls him intelligent but ``not very stable`` and ``touchy, impatient and rash,’ the report said.
According to the report, another outlines plans to assassinate Castro, including a 1964 plan with connections to the Mafia. The mob and ‘patriotic Cuban exiles’ eventually settled on a payment of USD 100,000 for assassinating Castro, USD 20,000 for his brother Raul and USD 20,000 for revolutionary Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara, plus USD 2,500 for expenses, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah