Dodi Fayed`s father wants to become Scotland`s 1st prez
London: Mohamed al-Fayed, the father of princess Diana`s lover Dodi Fayed, wants Scottish people to "detach" themselves from the UK in a referendum next year and says he wants to become the first president of the country.
The Egyptian-born tycoon, who owns an estate in the Scottish Highlands, said he felt great affinity with the Scots, who he claims share his ancestry, reported `The Sunday Times`.
"Whatever help is needed for Scotland to regain its independence, I will provide it. When you Scots regain your freedom I`m ready to be your president. I have lived here (in England) for 40 years, but now the home that I want is Scotland," the 80-year-old businessman told the newspaper.
Fayed, who has repeatedly been refused a UK passport, said he hoped to be offered Scottish citizenship if a planned independence referendum leads to the break-up of Britain.
Fayed, who claimed that the British establishment orchestrated a plot to kill Dodi and Diana, said, "You Scots have been living in a coma for too long. It is time for you to waken up and detach yourselves from the English and their terrible politicians".
The Scottish National Party, in power in the developed Edinburgh administration, is committed to holding a referendum on independence.
Daina, the Princess of Wales, and Dodi were killed in the 1997 Paris car crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice