Does Israel fear attacks during Olympics?
Jerusalem: Israel`s Prime Minister says his country is on alert for plots to kill more Israelis overseas.
Last week`s deadly attack on Israeli tourists in Bulgaria came just before this week`s opening of the London Olympics. It has fuelled speculation that Israeli athletes might be targeted next.
Benjamin Netanyahu told CBS TV`s Face the Nation program today, "We are vigilant about the possibility that they (Iran and its agents) would attack elsewhere, but I can`t give specific details. ... I`m not confirming any information that we have on the Olympics."
He, however, vowed that his government “will do whatever is necessary” to protect innocent Israelis.
Netanyahu said: “There has to be a price exacted” from the terrorists and their supporters.
He further reiterated that the Israeli government has “fully substantiated intelligence” that Wednesday’s attack against Israeli tourists in Bulgaria was carried out by the Iran-backed Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.
Israel blames Iran and its proxies for the Bulgaria bombing and other plots against Israelis and Jews overseas over the past two years.
Iran has denied responsibility for the bombing, which killed five vacationing Israelis, along with a Bulgarian bus driver and the attacker.
Netanyahu says it’s critically important to “make sure that the world’s most dangerous regime doesn’t get the world’s most dangerous weapon”.
In 1972, 11 Israeli athletes were killed after they were abducted by Palestinians at the Munich Olympics.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA