Dominican migrant boat overturns; at least 10 dead
Santo Domingo: A fire chief in the eastern Dominican Republic says at least 10 people drowned when a boat overloaded with migrants overturned off the country`s coast.
Jeffrey Pimentel says the wooden boat was filled with migrants trying to reach Puerto Rico across the Mona Passage.
Pimentel says survivors say there were about 60 people on board and many of them are missing. He said 10 bodies had been recovered and nine people had been rescued.
The country`s Civil Defence department was searching the ocean on Saturday by sea and air for more survivors.
Thousands of Dominican migrants cross over to the US island territory every year in open boats known that are ill-suited to the treacherous journey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre