Dominican migrant boat overturns; at least 10 dead
Santo Domingo: A fire chief in the eastern Dominican Republic says at least 10 people drowned when a boat overloaded with migrants overturned off the country`s coast.
Jeffrey Pimentel says the wooden boat was filled with migrants trying to reach Puerto Rico across the Mona Passage.
Pimentel says survivors say there were about 60 people on board and many of them are missing. He said 10 bodies had been recovered and nine people had been rescued.
The country`s Civil Defence department was searching the ocean on Saturday by sea and air for more survivors.
Thousands of Dominican migrants cross over to the US island territory every year in open boats known that are ill-suited to the treacherous journey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick