Dominican migrant boat overturns; at least 10 dead
Santo Domingo: A fire chief in the eastern Dominican Republic says at least 10 people drowned when a boat overloaded with migrants overturned off the country`s coast.
Jeffrey Pimentel says the wooden boat was filled with migrants trying to reach Puerto Rico across the Mona Passage.
Pimentel says survivors say there were about 60 people on board and many of them are missing. He said 10 bodies had been recovered and nine people had been rescued.
The country`s Civil Defence department was searching the ocean on Saturday by sea and air for more survivors.
Thousands of Dominican migrants cross over to the US island territory every year in open boats known that are ill-suited to the treacherous journey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media