Dominican migrant boat overturns; at least 10 dead
Santo Domingo: A fire chief in the eastern Dominican Republic says at least 10 people drowned when a boat overloaded with migrants overturned off the country`s coast.
Jeffrey Pimentel says the wooden boat was filled with migrants trying to reach Puerto Rico across the Mona Passage.
Pimentel says survivors say there were about 60 people on board and many of them are missing. He said 10 bodies had been recovered and nine people had been rescued.
The country`s Civil Defence department was searching the ocean on Saturday by sea and air for more survivors.
Thousands of Dominican migrants cross over to the US island territory every year in open boats known that are ill-suited to the treacherous journey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you