Don`t expect North Korea to disarm: Ex-Obama aide
Washington: The former top White House official on counter-proliferation says diplomacy is unlikely to get North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons and the best to hope for is a verifiable freeze in its production of fissile material.
Gary Samore, who resigned from his White House position in January, yesterday said it`s not practical to achieve nuclear disarmament unless there`s a change of leadership in Pyongyang or a fundamental change in the strategy of its ally China.
Samore told a forum on US-Korean affairs that a more attainable goal is a moratorium on nuclear and missile tests that would delay the North`s progress toward having a weapon that can hit the US.
North Korea has offered to negotiate after months of provocations and a February nuclear test.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai