Don’t let dissidents into embassy again: China warns US
Beijing: Accusing the US of sheltering blind activist in its embassy here using "abnormal means", China on Monday asked America not to repeat such an incident again in the overall interest of bilateral ties.
China termed the incident as "interference" in the internal affairs of the country.
40-year-old Chen fled house arrest last month for the US embassy, where he spent six days. He was later shifted to a hospital after Beijing said that he could move to a "safe" location.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei declined to answer questions over when Chen and his family would be given passports to travel to US.
American officials, however, have been saying that they expect the process to be over by this week so that Chen, who is still admitted to a hospital here could travel out of the country next week.
"The (Chen) incident showed that US has interfered with the internal affairs of China," Hong said.
Charging Washington of displaying irresponsible attitude by letting the dissident into its embassy compound, he said the US should draw lesson from the incident and reflect upon its policies and moves and "take necessary measures" to prevent similar incidents.
The crisis blew over after China has agreed to provide passport to Chen, his wife and two children to go to New York University where he was offered a fellowship.
The China-US strategic and economic dialogue, attended by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and US Treasury Secretary Timothey Geithner, held here on May 3-4 proceeded smoothly after Beijing decision to grant travel papers to Chen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow