`Don`t let nukes overshadow Iranian human rights`
Chicago: Iran`s nuclear ambitions should not prevent world leaders from pressing the Persian nation to respect human rights and open its government to democracy, Nobel Peace Prize winner and exiled Iranian activist Shirin Ebadi has said.
"I`m very glad that both governments of Iran and the United States have stated that the negotiations that recently took place in Istanbul on the issue of nuclear energy have been successful," Ebadi told the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates in Chicago yesterday.
However, Ebadi said, she objects to any efforts to "shake the hand of friendship with a government that for the past 30 years has been fighting human rights."
The Iranian government "neither likes peace with its own people nor is interested in listening to what the people have to say," Ebadi said through a translator.
"In any negotiations with the government of Iran, democracy and human rights should be the subject of negotiations."
The peace and democracy movement in Iran is very strong despite recent crackdowns, Ebadi said.
Iran`s feminism movement is the largest in the Middle East, she added, because of high educational level among Iranian women and because so many Iranian men understand that true reform will come only when women`s rights are guaranteed.
"If women succeed in attaining equal rights in Iran, the male power of religion will be cracked," Ebadi said.
"This is the gate to democracy and an introduction to changing bad laws like stoning and cutting off hands of thieves."
Despite what some clerics say, there is no contradiction between Islam and a respect for human rights, nor is there any reason to adopt so-called `Islamic feminism`, Ebadi said.
"We can be Muslims and -- with a correct interpretation of Islam -- attain equal rights for women."
Iran is not the only nation using religion to justify repressing women, said Suzanne Nossel, director of Amnesty International in the United States.
Women`s reproductive rights are currently under attack in the United States as politicians seek to limit access to contraception with the argument that employers who object on moral grounds should not have to provide such health insurance coverage.
"We really need to avoid pitting women`s rights against religious freedom and also to prevent the resurgence of an argument that religious practice must override women`s rights," Nossel told the summit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in