Don`t need chemical arms to deter Israel: Assad
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said his government possesses non-chemical weapons that are so sophisticated that they could "blind" Israel anytime.
"During the 1980s, we manufactured chemical weapons as a deterrent to nuclear-armed Israel," Assad was quoted as saying by Lebanese daily al-Akhbar Thursday.
"Now these are no longer a deterrent. Today, we have more important and sophisticated weapons capable of blinding Israel in an instant," he said.
The real objective of the US and its allies is not Syria`s chemical weapons arsenal but to alter the regional balance of power and protect Israel, Assad added.
Assad said that Syria`s decision to hand over its chemical weapons to the international community to be destroyed has caused Washington and other capitals "embarrassment".
"Now the ball is in their court," Assad said.
"We have thousands of tonnes of chemical weapons, which are a burden for us. Destroying them would cost us a huge amount of money and time," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report