Don`t need chemical arms to deter Israel: Assad
Damascus: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said his government possesses non-chemical weapons that are so sophisticated that they could "blind" Israel anytime.
"During the 1980s, we manufactured chemical weapons as a deterrent to nuclear-armed Israel," Assad was quoted as saying by Lebanese daily al-Akhbar Thursday.
"Now these are no longer a deterrent. Today, we have more important and sophisticated weapons capable of blinding Israel in an instant," he said.
The real objective of the US and its allies is not Syria`s chemical weapons arsenal but to alter the regional balance of power and protect Israel, Assad added.
Assad said that Syria`s decision to hand over its chemical weapons to the international community to be destroyed has caused Washington and other capitals "embarrassment".
"Now the ball is in their court," Assad said.
"We have thousands of tonnes of chemical weapons, which are a burden for us. Destroying them would cost us a huge amount of money and time," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WORLD RECORD: Can Ravichandran Ashwin become the fastest bowler to claim 200 test wickets?
- ‘Abnormal’ foetus abortion case: SC asks for medical exam of alleged rape survivor
- Know what causes balding in men!
- Exclusive: Osama Bin Laden's compound in Abbottabad is at centre of row — Know the controversy
- UK police say almost 6,200 hate crimes in month after Brexit vote