Don’t panic about Obama election edge: Romney camp
Washington: Republican candidate Mitt Romney’s camp released a memo from its internal pollster, telling supporters not to panic about the latest polls, which led some to speculate that Romney’s advisers are panicking.
“Don`t get too worked up about the latest polling,” Romney’s internal pollster Neil Newhouse sent a memo to supporters over President Barack Obama’s edge in post-convention surveys.
“While some voters will feel a bit of a sugar-high from the conventions, the basic structure of the race has not changed significantly,” he said.
“The reality of the Obama economy will reassert itself as the ultimate downfall of the Obama Presidency, and Mitt Romney will win this race,” the New York Daily News quoted Newhouse, as saying.
According to the report, political analysts and the media immediately expressed scepticism over Newhouse’s memo.
Political analyst Larry Sabato of the University of Virginia agreed in a tweet said that convention bounces “don’t usually last and are more like artificial sweeteners than sugar”.
“But if you don’t get [one], there’s a problem,” he added.
Josh Putnam, a visiting assistant professor of political science at Davidson College, suggested that the Romney campaign is grasping for good news.
“The Romney campaign polling memo from Newhouse feels a lot like some of those March/April memos from [former Republican candidate Rick] Santorum regarding delegate math,” Putnam tweeted.
“Don’t know that it is nearly so bad for Team Romney, but it is in the same ballpark,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video