Don`t tell us how to run Hong Kong: China to US
Beijing: China today asked the US to stop issuing orders regarding political reforms in Hong Kong asserting that Washington has no right to interfere in its internal affairs.
Reacting to US Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia and Pacific Affairs Daniel Russel`s remarks about Hong Kong`s political reform and universal suffrage in the chief executive election, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said, "Political system development is Hong Kong`s own affair and China`s internal affair. Others have no right to interfere in it".
The Chinese government firmly opposes any foreign interference in Hong Kong`s political reform or other affairs, Hua told a media briefing.
China regained sovereignty over Hong Kong in 1997 after 99 years of British rule.
Universal suffrage in the chief executive election is regarded as an important development in the region`s political system.
In December, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government launched a five-month public consultation on methods for the election of Hong Kong`s next Chief Executive through universal suffrage in 2017 and for forming the Legislative Council in 2016.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- No objection to Rajnath attending SAARC meeting in Pak: Congress
- Punjabi films are Surveen Chawla's first love!- READ
- Rafael Nadal will travel to Rio, but injury situation still delicate: David Ferrer
- Mahasweta Devi – the gutsy social activist who took on political bigwigs for the dispossessed
- China says pressing ahead with own anti-missile system