Don’t transfer weapons to Hezbollah: US warns Syria
Washington: Amidst reports of Israeli jets hitting Lebanon-bound lorries loaded with surface-to-air missiles in Syrian territory, the US on Thursday warned Bashar al-Assad-led government not to transfer weapons to Hezollah.
US deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes said, "Syria should not further destabilize the region by transferring weaponry to Hezbollah."
Interestingly, the Syrian military had confirmed the air strike saying that the Israeli planes bombed a military research centre near the border with Lebanon.
The Syrian military denied there was any weapons convoy and said low-flying Israeli jets had crossed into their country over the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights to bomb a scientific research centre near Damascus.
It said the target was in the area of Jamraya, northwest of Damascus and about 15 kilometres (10 miles) from the Lebanese border.
US officials had said Israel launched a rare airstrike inside Syria on Wednesday. The target was a convoy believed to be carrying anti-aircraft weapons bound for Hezbollah, the powerful Lebanese militant group allied with Syria and Iran.
Meanwhile, Syria has threatened to retaliate for an Israeli airstrike. Syria’s ally, Iran, also said there will be repercussions for the Jewish state over the attack.
In a letter to the UN Secretary-General, Syria stressed the country`s "right to defend itself, its territory and sovereignty" and holding Israel and its supporters accountable.
"Israel and those who protect it at the Security Council are fully responsible for the repercussions of this aggression," the letter from Syria`s Foreign Ministry said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today