Don’t transfer weapons to Hezbollah: US warns Syria
Washington: Amidst reports of Israeli jets hitting Lebanon-bound lorries loaded with surface-to-air missiles in Syrian territory, the US on Thursday warned Bashar al-Assad-led government not to transfer weapons to Hezollah.
US deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes said, "Syria should not further destabilize the region by transferring weaponry to Hezbollah."
Interestingly, the Syrian military had confirmed the air strike saying that the Israeli planes bombed a military research centre near the border with Lebanon.
The Syrian military denied there was any weapons convoy and said low-flying Israeli jets had crossed into their country over the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights to bomb a scientific research centre near Damascus.
It said the target was in the area of Jamraya, northwest of Damascus and about 15 kilometres (10 miles) from the Lebanese border.
US officials had said Israel launched a rare airstrike inside Syria on Wednesday. The target was a convoy believed to be carrying anti-aircraft weapons bound for Hezbollah, the powerful Lebanese militant group allied with Syria and Iran.
Meanwhile, Syria has threatened to retaliate for an Israeli airstrike. Syria’s ally, Iran, also said there will be repercussions for the Jewish state over the attack.
In a letter to the UN Secretary-General, Syria stressed the country`s "right to defend itself, its territory and sovereignty" and holding Israel and its supporters accountable.
"Israel and those who protect it at the Security Council are fully responsible for the repercussions of this aggression," the letter from Syria`s Foreign Ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni a step closer to main draw
- Tata Motors profits fall on weak Jaguar Land Rover sales
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs