Don’t transfer weapons to Hezbollah: US warns Syria
Washington: Amidst reports of Israeli jets hitting Lebanon-bound lorries loaded with surface-to-air missiles in Syrian territory, the US on Thursday warned Bashar al-Assad-led government not to transfer weapons to Hezollah.
US deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes said, "Syria should not further destabilize the region by transferring weaponry to Hezbollah."
Interestingly, the Syrian military had confirmed the air strike saying that the Israeli planes bombed a military research centre near the border with Lebanon.
The Syrian military denied there was any weapons convoy and said low-flying Israeli jets had crossed into their country over the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights to bomb a scientific research centre near Damascus.
It said the target was in the area of Jamraya, northwest of Damascus and about 15 kilometres (10 miles) from the Lebanese border.
US officials had said Israel launched a rare airstrike inside Syria on Wednesday. The target was a convoy believed to be carrying anti-aircraft weapons bound for Hezbollah, the powerful Lebanese militant group allied with Syria and Iran.
Meanwhile, Syria has threatened to retaliate for an Israeli airstrike. Syria’s ally, Iran, also said there will be repercussions for the Jewish state over the attack.
In a letter to the UN Secretary-General, Syria stressed the country`s "right to defend itself, its territory and sovereignty" and holding Israel and its supporters accountable.
"Israel and those who protect it at the Security Council are fully responsible for the repercussions of this aggression," the letter from Syria`s Foreign Ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon