Don`t use British jails as hotels: Indian-origin MP
London: Jails in Britain should not be used as hotels for ¬foreigners, Indian-origin Conservative MP Priti Patel said after reports emerged that the public was paying 400 million pounds a year to keep foreign criminals in jail.
Official figures from the justice ministry showed that more than 10,000 foreign nationals were lodged in England and Wales prisons till June, comprising about one in eight of the prison population, the Daily Express reported.
Other MPs have called for overseas criminals to serve their sentences in their own countries.
"Prison is always the best place for dangerous criminals but our jails should not be used as hotels for ¬foreigners. Living in Britain is a privilege and foreigners who come here and flout our laws should be sent packing without delay," Patel said.
The ministry said it costs 40,000 pounds a year to keep a foreign national in prison, leaving a total bill of 434 million pounds at current levels.
"We have voluntary prisoner transfer agreements with more than 100 countries, allowing prisoners to serve their sentences in their home countries," a ministry spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees