Dozens hurt as Bahrain police attack funeral: Oppn
Dubai: Bahrain`s security forces attacked a funeral procession in a Shiite village on the outskirts of the Bahraini capital Manama injuring dozens of people, the
opposition said in a statement on Sunday.
Al-Wefaq, the largest Shiite opposition group, said "dozens were wounded" when security forces yesterday "brutally" attacked a funeral procession for a 16-year-old boy killed a day earlier after being struck by a police car.
The Al-Wefaq statement gave no further details of the incident but it accused the security forces of "raiding" several other Shiite villages here yesterday.
The authorities say the boy`s death was an "accident" caused when a police vehicle swerved out of control and struck him.
According to Al-Wefaq, Ali Yussef Baddah was killed in the Al-Jufair suburb of Manama after midnight on Friday, adding that police were out on the streets to break up a protest.
Police, meanwhile, said at least two people were injured in clashes in the city of Issa on the outskirts of Manama, according to a statement released late yesterday by the official state news.
The statement said yesterday`s injuries occurred when police intervened to stop a group of 25 people trying to block a main avenue.
Tensions remain high in Bahrain where the Sunni monarchy earlier this year crushed pro-democracy protests, spearheaded by the majority Shiites, with the help of troops from other Gulf states, such as Saudi Arabia.
Twenty-four people died during the month-long crackdown, according to official figures from Manama. The opposition says 40 people were killed.
An independent commission is due to release a report on the violence on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir?
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies