Dozens hurt as Bahrain police attack funeral: Oppn
Dubai: Bahrain`s security forces attacked a funeral procession in a Shiite village on the outskirts of the Bahraini capital Manama injuring dozens of people, the
opposition said in a statement on Sunday.
Al-Wefaq, the largest Shiite opposition group, said "dozens were wounded" when security forces yesterday "brutally" attacked a funeral procession for a 16-year-old boy killed a day earlier after being struck by a police car.
The Al-Wefaq statement gave no further details of the incident but it accused the security forces of "raiding" several other Shiite villages here yesterday.
The authorities say the boy`s death was an "accident" caused when a police vehicle swerved out of control and struck him.
According to Al-Wefaq, Ali Yussef Baddah was killed in the Al-Jufair suburb of Manama after midnight on Friday, adding that police were out on the streets to break up a protest.
Police, meanwhile, said at least two people were injured in clashes in the city of Issa on the outskirts of Manama, according to a statement released late yesterday by the official state news.
The statement said yesterday`s injuries occurred when police intervened to stop a group of 25 people trying to block a main avenue.
Tensions remain high in Bahrain where the Sunni monarchy earlier this year crushed pro-democracy protests, spearheaded by the majority Shiites, with the help of troops from other Gulf states, such as Saudi Arabia.
Twenty-four people died during the month-long crackdown, according to official figures from Manama. The opposition says 40 people were killed.
An independent commission is due to release a report on the violence on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL