Dozens hurt as Bahrain police attack funeral: Oppn
Dubai: Bahrain`s security forces attacked a funeral procession in a Shiite village on the outskirts of the Bahraini capital Manama injuring dozens of people, the
opposition said in a statement on Sunday.
Al-Wefaq, the largest Shiite opposition group, said "dozens were wounded" when security forces yesterday "brutally" attacked a funeral procession for a 16-year-old boy killed a day earlier after being struck by a police car.
The Al-Wefaq statement gave no further details of the incident but it accused the security forces of "raiding" several other Shiite villages here yesterday.
The authorities say the boy`s death was an "accident" caused when a police vehicle swerved out of control and struck him.
According to Al-Wefaq, Ali Yussef Baddah was killed in the Al-Jufair suburb of Manama after midnight on Friday, adding that police were out on the streets to break up a protest.
Police, meanwhile, said at least two people were injured in clashes in the city of Issa on the outskirts of Manama, according to a statement released late yesterday by the official state news.
The statement said yesterday`s injuries occurred when police intervened to stop a group of 25 people trying to block a main avenue.
Tensions remain high in Bahrain where the Sunni monarchy earlier this year crushed pro-democracy protests, spearheaded by the majority Shiites, with the help of troops from other Gulf states, such as Saudi Arabia.
Twenty-four people died during the month-long crackdown, according to official figures from Manama. The opposition says 40 people were killed.
An independent commission is due to release a report on the violence on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!