Dozens hurt as migrants clash in France
Paris: Dozens were hurt on Tuesday after clashes broke out in the northern French port of Calais between hundreds of African migrants seeking to cross the Channel to England.
Police reinforcements were called to break up fights between groups of mainly Eritrean and Sudanese migrants that left 51 people hurt, one of whom was sent by helicopter to hospital with serious head injuries.
"The fights started after dinner and spread to the port area. They lasted most of the evening and into the night," local police authorities said.
One port worker estimated around 300 migrants were involved in running battles in the early hours of Tuesday.
This was the second consecutive night of scuffles between rival groups seeking passage to England. The previous night, 13 people were hurt in fights between around 150 people.
The number of migrants in Calais has grown "by some 50 percent in a few months", local authorities said.
Veronique Devise, from the Secours Catholique charity, said the situation had deteriorated and there was now "a bit of an explosive atmosphere".
"The migrants are so desperate. Sometimes they want to take a lorry by force and head off to England," she said.
According to official figures, nearly 7,500 illegal immigrants, mostly African, have been arrested since the beginning of the year as they attempt to reach Britain.
In May, French police expelled around 550 people from makeshift camps in Calais after a scabies outbreak, drawing criticism from rights groups.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know