Dramatic sea rescue in Italy, 900 migrants saved in two days
Rome: Italy`s coast guard rescued 95 migrants found clinging to a large tuna fishing cage off the shores of Sicily on Sunday, as the number of people who landed in Italy over the weekend rose to over 900.
Rescuers pulled more than 250 people to safety today as two boats crossing the Mediterranean got into difficulty and reports came in of dozens of people clinging desperately to the tuna cage out at sea, Italian media said.
More than 100 men from Eritrea were taken to Lampedusa island off the Sicilian coast, along with a further 55 people from a different boat, some of whom had jumped into the water at the sight of the coast guard.
Yesterday, some 690 immigrants were rescued from boats with engine trouble or dinghies that had begun taking on water, including a baby girl born during the crossing from Turkey.
Good weather has raised fears of increased numbers of migrants trying to reach Italy by sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- What Diljit Dosanjh said about 'Phillauri' co-star Anushka Sharma will melt your heart! - Read here
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service
- MCI could be dead; new body may nurse medical education in India
- G20 nations warn of Brexit risk to global growth