Dramatic sea rescue in Italy, 900 migrants saved in two days
Rome: Italy`s coast guard rescued 95 migrants found clinging to a large tuna fishing cage off the shores of Sicily on Sunday, as the number of people who landed in Italy over the weekend rose to over 900.
Rescuers pulled more than 250 people to safety today as two boats crossing the Mediterranean got into difficulty and reports came in of dozens of people clinging desperately to the tuna cage out at sea, Italian media said.
More than 100 men from Eritrea were taken to Lampedusa island off the Sicilian coast, along with a further 55 people from a different boat, some of whom had jumped into the water at the sight of the coast guard.
Yesterday, some 690 immigrants were rescued from boats with engine trouble or dinghies that had begun taking on water, including a baby girl born during the crossing from Turkey.
Good weather has raised fears of increased numbers of migrants trying to reach Italy by sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state