Dramatic sea rescue in Italy, 900 migrants saved in two days
Rome: Italy`s coast guard rescued 95 migrants found clinging to a large tuna fishing cage off the shores of Sicily on Sunday, as the number of people who landed in Italy over the weekend rose to over 900.
Rescuers pulled more than 250 people to safety today as two boats crossing the Mediterranean got into difficulty and reports came in of dozens of people clinging desperately to the tuna cage out at sea, Italian media said.
More than 100 men from Eritrea were taken to Lampedusa island off the Sicilian coast, along with a further 55 people from a different boat, some of whom had jumped into the water at the sight of the coast guard.
Yesterday, some 690 immigrants were rescued from boats with engine trouble or dinghies that had begun taking on water, including a baby girl born during the crossing from Turkey.
Good weather has raised fears of increased numbers of migrants trying to reach Italy by sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Tips to treat minor burns at home!
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG
- Clinton tops 50% support from US voters in latest poll
- Bihar floods kill eight more; water recedes in UP but still in red
- Tired of frequent dandruff problem? Try these home remedies!