Drone attacks condemned in UN Human Rights Council
Geneva: The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navanethem Pillay, in her opening statement to the 20th session of the HRC, expressed serious concern over the continuing use of armed drones for targeted attacks, in particular because it was unclear that all persons targeted were combatants or directly participating in hostilities.
Pillay urged states to conduct investigation that were transparent, credible and independent and provide victims with effective remedies, reports The Dawn.
Permanent Representative of Pakistan, Ambassador Zamir Akram reiterated the position of the Pakistan Government that drone strikes are contrary to international law and a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty, and is counter-productive.
He called upon the international community to pay heed to the concerns expressed by the High Commissioner and the Special Procedures with regard to drone attacks.
The prominent human rights organisation, Amnesty International, in its statement, also said the drone attacks "disregard human rights law" and that "the carrying out of killings .... represents a fundamental challenge to the whole international system for the protection of human rights."
The American Civil Liberty Union, in its statement, called for "increased transparency and accountability regarding the use of armed drones for targeted killing", and expressed concerns that "U.S. drone killings have not complied with international law requirements mandating the protection of civilians".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Tata Motors profits fall on weak Jaguar Land Rover sales
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!