Drone kills 5 militants in Yemen
Sanaa: A suspected US drone in Yemen`s south targeted a car carrying al-Qaida militants today, killing all five passengers, Yemeni security officials said.
The officials said the attack took place in a mountainous area in al-Saied in the southern Shabwa province. One of those killed in the attack was a suspected al-Qaida leader named Musaad al-Habashi, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the press.
The US considers Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula to be the group`s most dangerous branch in the world and has linked it to a number of botched or foiled attacks on the US homeland.
The US, which trains Yemen`s counter-terrorism forces, has launched more than 100 drone strikes against suspected al-Qaida targets in the impoverished country since 2002, according to the New America Foundation, a nonpartisan public policy institute.
The militant group overran large swaths of territory in southern Yemen in 2011, taking advantage of political turmoil that forced longtime leader Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down.
Since, the Yemeni military has pushed back, and over the past few weeks has stepped up an offensive to rout the fighters from their strongholds.
Al-Qaida militants have also hiked up their attacks against troops and government officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’