Drone strikes are fully legal: Obama aide
Washington: The deadly US campaign of drone strikes against al Qaeda is fully legal under international law, President Barack Obama`s counterterrorism chief insisted on Monday in the most extensive justification of a controversial tactic that has eliminated some of the most-wanted militants.
Speaking on the eve of the one-year anniversary of the U.S. killing of Osama bin Laden in a raid in Pakistan, the White House aide, John Brennan, said the U.S. administration holds itself to a "rigorous" review process in deciding on drone targets in Afghanistan and elsewhere.
The bin Laden commando raid and unmanned air strikes in Pakistan have severely strained relations between Washington and Islamabad.
"I`m here today because President Obama has instructed us to be more open with the American people about these efforts," Brennan said in a speech to a Washington think tank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed