Drought affects 24 million in China
Beijing: Nearly 24 million people have been affected by drought in China`s various provinces since last October while causing a big financial loss to the government, authorities said Thursday.
The drought has affected 23.7 million people living in Yunnan, Gansu and Sichuan provinces till date, causing economic losses of more than $1.1 billion, Xinhua quoted civil affairs authorities as saying Thursday.
The National Disaster Reduction Commission (NDRC) and the Ministry of Civil Affairs initiated an emergency response to the drought Thursday and sent work teams to aid in disaster relief.
The NDRC has also organised meetings to analyse the causes of drought and work out relief measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP