DSK demands to testify in prostitution probe
Paris: Former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn on Friday demanded to be questioned by judges investigating an alleged prostitution ring, after media reports linked him to the case.
Claiming he is the victim of a "media lynching", the 62-year-old French politician said through his lawyers that he wants to address allegations he took part in orgies with prostitutes in Washington and Paris.
"Such a situation, which everyone can see is unhealthy, sensationalist and not without political overtones, cannot continue," Strauss-Kahn`s legal team said in a statement.
"Dominique Strauss-Kahn states once again that he is ready to explain himself, not before the uncertain court of public opinion, but before those who are conducting the judicial inquiry."
With the scandal still making daily headlines, the lawyers` statement said their client would like to be interviewed "as quickly as possible”.
Strauss-Kahn resigned from the International Monetary Fund in May after a New York hotel chambermaid accused him of sexual assault and attempted rape and he was arrested.
The US case against him eventually collapsed over doubts about the alleged victim`s testimony, but not before it had destroyed Strauss-Kahn`s hopes of running as the Socialist candidate in next year`s French presidential race.
On his return to France he faced new allegations.
First, a young writer accused him of attempting to rape her in 2003 but, while prosecutors said there was prima facie evidence of sexual assault, the case was too old to pursue.
Now, Strauss-Kahn has been implicated in an entirely separate investigation into an alleged prostitution ring said to have operated out of luxury hotels in the northern French city of Lille.
Magistrates have already charged several leading local figures with organising the ring and there are suspicions that a construction company executive used his firm`s money to entertain guests at sex parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing