Dubai hotel frees Sammy the whale shark
Dubai: A rare whale shark that was a hotel
attraction in Dubai has been returned to the wild, the resort
said on Thursday, following an international campaign against the
Sammy, a freckled whale shark that is an internationally
protected species, had been kept inside a lobby aquarium at
Dubai`s upscale Atlantis resort since September 2008.
The 14-foot female, was returned to the Gulf waters where
it had been "rescued" said the hotel, where guests pay up to
7,500 dollars a night for a top suite.
The shark was a top crowd puller, but also attracted
unwelcome publicity for the hotel, after animal rights groups
began a worldwide campaign to free Sammy.
A "Free Sammy" Facebook campaign attracted more than
The hotel announcement came as a 175-nation Convention on
International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) met in
Atlantis said that the shark had been tagged for
monitoring and research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert