Dubai hotel frees Sammy the whale shark
Dubai: A rare whale shark that was a hotel
attraction in Dubai has been returned to the wild, the resort
said on Thursday, following an international campaign against the
Sammy, a freckled whale shark that is an internationally
protected species, had been kept inside a lobby aquarium at
Dubai`s upscale Atlantis resort since September 2008.
The 14-foot female, was returned to the Gulf waters where
it had been "rescued" said the hotel, where guests pay up to
7,500 dollars a night for a top suite.
The shark was a top crowd puller, but also attracted
unwelcome publicity for the hotel, after animal rights groups
began a worldwide campaign to free Sammy.
A "Free Sammy" Facebook campaign attracted more than
The hotel announcement came as a 175-nation Convention on
International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) met in
Atlantis said that the shark had been tagged for
monitoring and research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you