Dubai inaugurates world`s tallest `twisted` tower
Dubai: Dubai has inaugurated the world`s tallest twisted tower built at a cost of around Rs 1578 crores, setting a yet another record for skyscrapers and other engineering marvels.
The 310-metre (1,017-foot), 75-storey residential Cayan Tower is twisted at 90 degrees from top to bottom and was inaugurated earlier this week in Dubai Marina -- a man-made canal overlooking the Gulf.
Developer Cayan Real Estate Investment and Development Company said 80 percent of its residential units have already been sold.
Construction began in 2006, but was delayed due to major technical problems and the 2009 economic downturn in Dubai triggered by the global financial crisis.
The tower was designed by Chicago-based Skidmore Owings and Merrill, the masterminds behind Burj Khalifa, which is the world`s tallest tower and also in Dubai.
The 828-metre (2,717-foot), 160-storey Burj Khalifa broke engineering and architectural records when it opened in January 2010.
In May 2012, Dubai opened the 413.4-metre (1,356-foot) Princess Tower, the world`s tallest residential building, according to the Guinness World Records website.
And later in 2012, the emirate inaugurated the world`s tallest hotel -- the 355-metre (1,165-foot) twin tower JW Marriott Marquis Dubai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery