Dubai may issue arrest warrant for Israeli PM
Jerusalem: Dubai has said that it will issue an arrest warrant against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, if investigators conclude that Mossad was behind the killing of a senior Hamas official in the emirate last month.
According to The Telegraph, the threat to detain the Israeli leader came as police in Dubai linked the apparent murder of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, a senior member of the Hamas military wing, to Israel for the first time.
Dahi Khalfan Tamim, Dubai`s police chief, claimed that the dead man was killed using Mossad methods.
He said Netanyahu would be held personally responsible if Mossad was identified as the culprit.
"Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister, will be the first to be wanted for justice as he would have been the one who signed the decision to kill al-Mabhouh in Dubai," Gen Tamim told The National, an English language newspaper in Dubai.
"We will issue an arrest warrant against him," he added.
Mabhouh was found dead in his Dubai hotel room on January 20.
According to initial forensic reports, he was given an electric shock before being suffocated. Police are still investigating other factors that could have contributed to his death, including poisoning.
Israel has yet to comment on whether or not it was involved in the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!