Dubai named as events capital of Middle East
Dubai: Dubai, known as the hub for some of
the biggest events, has been named as the `2011 World Festival
and Event City` in the Middle East region by an international
The regional award has been given by the International
Festivals and Events Association (IFEA), which supports events
The Dubai government realised the economic importance of
festivals in the 1990s and developed the infrastructure to
establish the emirate as a hub for international events, said
Shaikh Ahmad bin Saeed Al Maktoum, President of Dubai Civil
Aviation and Chairman and CEO of Emirates airline and Group.
"The fruits of this long-term strategy have materialised
with the events and festivals industry being vital in
energising various economic sectors in the city, whether it
was the hospitality sector, the tourism sector or the retail
sector, which are all main arteries that pump income into the
local economy as non-oil industries," he said.
The announcement was made earlier this month during the
IFEA Convention and Expo in Texas.
The festivals and events industry in Dubai has boosted
tourism and trade - the main pillars of the emirate`s economy,
industry representatives said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani