Dubai named as events capital of Middle East
Dubai: Dubai, known as the hub for some of
the biggest events, has been named as the `2011 World Festival
and Event City` in the Middle East region by an international
The regional award has been given by the International
Festivals and Events Association (IFEA), which supports events
The Dubai government realised the economic importance of
festivals in the 1990s and developed the infrastructure to
establish the emirate as a hub for international events, said
Shaikh Ahmad bin Saeed Al Maktoum, President of Dubai Civil
Aviation and Chairman and CEO of Emirates airline and Group.
"The fruits of this long-term strategy have materialised
with the events and festivals industry being vital in
energising various economic sectors in the city, whether it
was the hospitality sector, the tourism sector or the retail
sector, which are all main arteries that pump income into the
local economy as non-oil industries," he said.
The announcement was made earlier this month during the
IFEA Convention and Expo in Texas.
The festivals and events industry in Dubai has boosted
tourism and trade - the main pillars of the emirate`s economy,
industry representatives said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda