Dubai named as events capital of Middle East
Dubai: Dubai, known as the hub for some of
the biggest events, has been named as the `2011 World Festival
and Event City` in the Middle East region by an international
The regional award has been given by the International
Festivals and Events Association (IFEA), which supports events
The Dubai government realised the economic importance of
festivals in the 1990s and developed the infrastructure to
establish the emirate as a hub for international events, said
Shaikh Ahmad bin Saeed Al Maktoum, President of Dubai Civil
Aviation and Chairman and CEO of Emirates airline and Group.
"The fruits of this long-term strategy have materialised
with the events and festivals industry being vital in
energising various economic sectors in the city, whether it
was the hospitality sector, the tourism sector or the retail
sector, which are all main arteries that pump income into the
local economy as non-oil industries," he said.
The announcement was made earlier this month during the
IFEA Convention and Expo in Texas.
The festivals and events industry in Dubai has boosted
tourism and trade - the main pillars of the emirate`s economy,
industry representatives said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!