Dubai to get eco-friendly mosque next year
Dubai: Dubai will have the largest, most modern and eco-friendly mosque estimated to be built at the cost of USD 6.8 million to reduce energy and water consumption by 15-19 percent.
The 45,000 sq ft mosque in an area of 105,000 square feet will come up by 2013, the Awqaf and Minors Affairs Foundation has announced.
The project is expected to cost USD 6.8 million and the facility will accommodate 3,500 worshippers at one time.
According to the foundation, the mosque will feature green spaces, particularly gardens on the roof for heat insulation.
In addition, the mosque will have technologies such as solar panels to heat water for ablution and recycle plants to treat water for gardening and washroom purposes.
The mosque will also house the Imam`s (priest) house and will be equipped with the latest technologies in energy efficiency to curb wastage in air-conditioning and air purity system.
The mosque will be constructed with eco-friendly materials and avoid the use of asbestos and polystyrene. It will additionally use thermal insulation, programmed and automatic thermostat, suction fans with energy recovery units, and natural light and heat-reflective colours, especially at the interfaces and roofs.
Tayeb Abdulrahman Al-Rais, the secretary-general of the AMAF, said that with the global call for energy conservation, it is essential for developers to take responsibility for creating buildings that comply with green standards.
"The construction of the mosque is in line with the UAE leadership’s vision towards the conservation of resources, environment protection and the adoption of green practices. With the global call for energy conservation, it is essential for developers to take responsibility for creating buildings that comply with green standards," Al-Rais said.
"The mosque project complies with best practices in corporate governance, while being transparent and gaining the validation of Awqaf, government and private institutions," Al-Rais said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata