Duchess of York ‘faces bankruptcy’
London: The Duchess of York’s debts have risen to almost 5 million pounds, and her only option may be the first voluntary bankruptcy of a royal.
At least one senior financial adviser to Buckingham Palace recommended the action despite the acute embarrassment it would cause for the Queen, the Duke of York and others.
The Queen is said to be ‘deeply concerned’ by the debts, which are more than twice as large as previously thought, the newspaper said.
Even UK Prime Minister David Cameron has been briefed on the issue and discussed Sarah Ferguson’s finances during one of his weekly private audiences with Queen.
“One key adviser believes the right thing is for the Duchess of York to go bankrupt. He says it will be a week-long wonder, then everyone will say, ``It’s not altogether surprising’ and then they will forget about it,” the Telegraph quoted a senior royal source as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre