Duchess of York ‘faces bankruptcy’
London: The Duchess of York’s debts have risen to almost 5 million pounds, and her only option may be the first voluntary bankruptcy of a royal.
At least one senior financial adviser to Buckingham Palace recommended the action despite the acute embarrassment it would cause for the Queen, the Duke of York and others.
The Queen is said to be ‘deeply concerned’ by the debts, which are more than twice as large as previously thought, the newspaper said.
Even UK Prime Minister David Cameron has been briefed on the issue and discussed Sarah Ferguson’s finances during one of his weekly private audiences with Queen.
“One key adviser believes the right thing is for the Duchess of York to go bankrupt. He says it will be a week-long wonder, then everyone will say, ``It’s not altogether surprising’ and then they will forget about it,” the Telegraph quoted a senior royal source as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months