Dutch arrest two for `anti-Semitic chants` at Gaza demo
The Hague: Dutch police have arrested two people for allegedly chanting "Death to the Jews" at a pro-Palestinian demonstration, the public prosecutor`s office said on Thursday.
"They are suspected of inciting violence against people of a specific belief or race," the prosecutor`s office said in a statement after the men, both 32, were arrested early Thursday.
The Hague mayor Jozias van Aartsen has been hit by a wave of criticism for failing to act against alleged anti-Semitism at two pro-Gaza demonstrations earlier this month amid Israel`s withering offensive on the enclave.
The arrests came in connection with the second demonstration on July 24, during which some protesters carried black flags associated with Islamist militants, including the Islamic State that has proclaimed a "caliphate" encompassing parts of Syria and Iraq.
An Arabic-speaking policeman reportedly said at the time that "no lines were crossed", while video footage emerged of people chanting "Death to the Jews" in Arabic.
"The prosecutor`s office and two interpreters watched images from the demonstration... the two interpreters independently translated words that would be punishable," the prosecutor`s statement said.
The Simon Wiesenthal Centre wrote to Van Aartsen earlier this week saying he may have contravened Dutch anti-terrorism legislation by allowing demonstrators to carry the jihadist flags.
The letter expressed "shock at your authorisation, on two occasions, of demonstrations in the Hague... calling for `the death of Jews`."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional