Dutch arrest two for `anti-Semitic chants` at Gaza demo
The Hague: Dutch police have arrested two people for allegedly chanting "Death to the Jews" at a pro-Palestinian demonstration, the public prosecutor`s office said on Thursday.
"They are suspected of inciting violence against people of a specific belief or race," the prosecutor`s office said in a statement after the men, both 32, were arrested early Thursday.
The Hague mayor Jozias van Aartsen has been hit by a wave of criticism for failing to act against alleged anti-Semitism at two pro-Gaza demonstrations earlier this month amid Israel`s withering offensive on the enclave.
The arrests came in connection with the second demonstration on July 24, during which some protesters carried black flags associated with Islamist militants, including the Islamic State that has proclaimed a "caliphate" encompassing parts of Syria and Iraq.
An Arabic-speaking policeman reportedly said at the time that "no lines were crossed", while video footage emerged of people chanting "Death to the Jews" in Arabic.
"The prosecutor`s office and two interpreters watched images from the demonstration... the two interpreters independently translated words that would be punishable," the prosecutor`s statement said.
The Simon Wiesenthal Centre wrote to Van Aartsen earlier this week saying he may have contravened Dutch anti-terrorism legislation by allowing demonstrators to carry the jihadist flags.
The letter expressed "shock at your authorisation, on two occasions, of demonstrations in the Hague... calling for `the death of Jews`."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Brave jawans gun down six militants in encounters in Kashmir's Kupwara - Know gunbattle details
- Brexit poll results: Britain, EU relation on knife-edge as historic referendum closes
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus