Dutch court jails five Tamil Tigers
The Hague: Five members of Sri Lanka`s Tamil
Tigers were on Friday jailed for between two and six years for
having sent millions of euros gathered illegally in the
Netherlands to the rebel group.
The men, all of them Dutch nationals, were convicted of
having raised money mainly through illegal lotteries but also
through threats to members of the Sri Lankan community.
The separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)
have since 2006 been on a European Union list of terrorist
But the court decided not to follow prosecution calls for
heavier sentences of up to 16 years, saying it considered the
LTTE a banned organisation rather than a terrorist one.
Defence lawyer Viktor Koppe said the five would appeal.
"This judgement is incredibly contradictory," he argued.
"The LTTE is not a terrorist organisation but even so
they convict five men for having helped it," he added.
Dutch police arrested all five men in June 2010 after an
investigation into the Tamil Tiger organisation.
Government forces crushed the separatist LTTE in a major
offensive in 2009 that ended nearly four-decades of ethnic
Rights groups say up to 40,000 civilians may have been
killed by both sides.
The UN has estimated that up to 100,000 people were
killed in the LTTE`s armed struggle for a separate homeland
for the island`s ethnic Tamil minority between 1972 and May
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015