Dutch court jails five Tamil Tigers
The Hague: Five members of Sri Lanka`s Tamil
Tigers were on Friday jailed for between two and six years for
having sent millions of euros gathered illegally in the
Netherlands to the rebel group.
The men, all of them Dutch nationals, were convicted of
having raised money mainly through illegal lotteries but also
through threats to members of the Sri Lankan community.
The separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)
have since 2006 been on a European Union list of terrorist
But the court decided not to follow prosecution calls for
heavier sentences of up to 16 years, saying it considered the
LTTE a banned organisation rather than a terrorist one.
Defence lawyer Viktor Koppe said the five would appeal.
"This judgement is incredibly contradictory," he argued.
"The LTTE is not a terrorist organisation but even so
they convict five men for having helped it," he added.
Dutch police arrested all five men in June 2010 after an
investigation into the Tamil Tiger organisation.
Government forces crushed the separatist LTTE in a major
offensive in 2009 that ended nearly four-decades of ethnic
Rights groups say up to 40,000 civilians may have been
killed by both sides.
The UN has estimated that up to 100,000 people were
killed in the LTTE`s armed struggle for a separate homeland
for the island`s ethnic Tamil minority between 1972 and May
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read