Dutch marines freed by Libya flown out to Greece
Athens: Three Dutch marines detained in civil war-hit Libya were released and flown to Athens aboard a Greek military plane on Friday.
They were met at Athens airport by Dutch government officials, including Deputy Foreign Minister Ed Kronenberg who headed the delegation that negotiated their release.
"The people have been very well taken care off, they are in good health and in good shape," Kronenberg told reporters. "They will be flying back to the Netherlands very soon."
The marines were arrested on February 27 at Sirte on Libya`s central Mediterranean coast when they tried to rescue a Dutch engineer and another European by helicopter.
The Dutch Defence Ministry confirmed the operation was carried out without authorisation from Libya, whose soldiers prevented the helicopter from taking off.
The civilians were later handed over to the Dutch embassy in Tripoli and returned to the Netherlands on March 2.
"Obviously we are overjoyed that this has happened. We were very worried about the situation. Last night it transpired that they would be out of Libya, which happened at the end of the morning, at the end of the night," Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte told reporters in Brussels.
The three marines will return to the Netherlands soon but probably not on Friday to give them time to recover from their detention, Defence Minister Hans Hillen was quoted as saying by public broadcaster NOS.
The marines` release was announced on Thursday by the son of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam.
"We told them, don`t come back again without our permission. We captured the first NATO soldiers, we are sending them back home. But we are still keeping their helicopter," he told a news agency.
Tens of thousands of foreigners living and working in Libya have left the country since a rebellion against Gaddafi`s 41-year rule broke out last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof