Dutch marines kill 2 pirates off Somali coast
The Hague: The Dutch Defence Ministry says its marines have killed two pirates and captured 16 in an operation to free a hijacked Iranian fishing boat off the coast of Somalia.
The ministry says in a statement that marines from the frigate HMS Tromp opened fire on the pirates on Sunday after they shot at two Dutch inflatable speed boats sent to investigate a suspicious fishing vessel.
Ten suspected pirates were captured as they tried to flee in a high-speed skiff and six more were detained on the fishing boat. The bodies of two suspected pirates killed in the firefight also were recovered on the boat.
Defence Ministry spokeswoman Marloes Visser said on Monday the pirates, some of whom were injured in the shooting, were being questioned on board the Tromp.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah