Dutch Queen calls for September 12 elections
The Hague: The Dutch Queen has called for national elections on September 12, leaving the country with only a caretaker government for more than four months as it struggles to bring its budget deficit within EU-mandated limits.
Prime Minister Mark Rutte and his 18-month old government resigned Monday after failing to agree on billions of euros (dollars) in cuts to rein in government spending.
He met with Queen Beatrix late last night and she told him to dissolve Parliament and schedule September 12 elections.
Rutte had been one of the most vocal critics of countries not sticking to EU budget rules and is now facing a near impossible task of getting the Dutch deficit down to 3 per cent of GDP next year.
Opposition parties say deep budget cuts will damage the economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?