Dutch reporter held in Egypt accused of spying
Cairo: A colleague says a Dutch journalist has been arrested by Egyptian citizens while reporting in Cairo, accused of being a spy and handed to authorities who detained her overnight.
The Netherlands Embassy confirmed on Tuesday that Rena Netjes had been arrested the day before. An Egyptian security official said she will be interrogated by prosecutors. He spoke on anonymously because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
Egypt`s government warned citizens in TV public announcements aired last year against talking to foreigners who they said may be spies. Last month, authorities encouraged civilians to arrest lawbreakers.
Bas Altena, a colleague, said Netjes contacted her asking for help after her arrest. Her phone had been taken away after citizens accused her of spying and handed her to authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country