Dutch Van Gogh Museum closes, masterpieces moved
Amsterdam: Many of Vincent van Gogh`s greatest masterpieces, including "Sunflowers," "Irises," and "Wheatfield with Crows" are being removed from the walls of the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.
While the museum closes for seven months for renovations, 75 works by the Dutch painter will be displayed instead across town at The Hermitage, an Amsterdam satellite of the Russian state museum.
The tricky process of transporting the artworks under police escort began immediately after the last visitors left the museum last evening and carried on through the night into this morning. They are being packed into hard-shell cases that are resistant to temperature changes and bumps, Curator Leo Jansen said.
The Hermitage will have the popular paintings back on display by Saturday. The Van Gogh Museum reopens April 25, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSER Rajasthan Board Class 12 (Arts) Examination Results 2016 declared - check rajresults.nic.in and rajeduboard.nic.in
- Karan Johar in awe of Radhika Apte's 'Phobia'!
- Congress nominates Chidambaram, Sibal, Ramesh for Rajya Sabha polls
- Four new cases of criminal assault on African nationals reported
- You would need to squeeze this phone in order to make a call!