‘Early elections in Greece in late April’
Athens: Early elections will be held in
Greece in late April, the finance minister said, adding that
the country`s future would be decided in a debt rollover plan
unfolding over the next month.
"Elections will be held after Easter, in late April,"
Evangelos Venizelos told a meeting of the socialist Pasok
party, one of the three partners supporting the coalition
government of caretaker Prime Minister Lucas Papademos.
"The future of the country will be decided from January
16 and for the following two or three weeks, during which
negotiations on the new programme will be held," Venizelos
said yesterday, referring to a eurozone bailout which includes
the debt rollover.
Papademos, a technocrat, heads a government set up in
November of the former ruling Socialists, the centre-right New
Democracy and a far-right nationalist party, Laos, with the
aim of implementing a second debt EU-IMF bailout agreed in
The government`s sole task is supposed to be to negotiate
the modalities of the October agreement and to get the
measures through Parliament.
EU, ECB and IMF officials are expected back in Athens
next month to review the country`s progress on meeting targets
set under a first 2010 debt bailout and how far it has got in
preparing to implement the second, October package.
With the economy deep in recession, Athens has found it
increasingly hard to meet the targets of the bailout,
prompting some in the government to suggest that more
austerity measures might be needed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks