Earthquake hits Russia`s Far East
Moscow: A powerful earthquake has hit Russia`s Far East with slight tremors spreading westwards as far as Moscow.
Marina Kolomiyets, spokeswoman for Obninsk`s seismic station of the Russian Academy of Sciences, said on Sunday the epicentre was in the Sea of Okhotsk, east of the Russian coast and north of Japan. She said the quake registered 8.0 on the Richter scale.
Emergency agencies in the Far East issued a tsunami warning for Sakhalin and the Kuril islands, but lifted it soon afterwards.
Kolomiyets said the earthquake originated 600 kilometres underground and with the tremors so far down they have the potential to spread quite far.
Tremors were felt in central Moscow, prompting some people to evacuate from buildings.
Russian news agencies also cited eyewitnesses reporting strong tremors across Siberia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi