Earthquake in China leaves 67 dead, 731 injured
Beijing: At least 67 people were killed and 731 others injured today when a shallow earthquake followed by a series of aftershocks jolted the mountainous southwest China, triggering landslides and uprooting over a lakh people.
The 5.7 magnitude earthquake hit the border area of Yiliang county in Yunnan province and Weining county in the neighbouring Guizhou province at 11:19 am local time, according to China Earthquake Networks Centre (CENC).
The epicentre of the quake was traced at Luozehe town, about 33 km away from the city centre of Zhaotong. Its depth was about 14 km.
Sixty-seven people have been confirmed dead and 731 others were injured in the quakes, state-run Xinhua news agency quoted officials from the Yunnan Province`s civil affairs department as saying.
The death toll may rise further as rescuers are yet to reach some of the quake-hit villages blocked off by landslides and falling rocks, officials with Zhaotong City, Yunnan Province said.
Power and communications were cut-off in the worst-hit areas. It was followed by more than 60 tremors, with four above 4.0 on the Richter scale.
Forty-nine people were killed in Yiliang alone while one death was reported from urban Zhaotong area, a provincial civil affairs department official said. Over 150 others were injured.
The quake has disrupted the lives of over 700,000 people in Yiliang and Daguan counties as well as Zhaoyang District, which are all under the administration of Zhaotong, the city`s civil affairs bureau reported.
So far, more than one lakh people have been evacuated. More than 20,000 houses were damaged or had collapsed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars