Earthquake of 4.3 magnitude hits Kentucky
Louisville(US): The US Geological Survey has reported that an earthquake centered in Kentucky rattled at least eight states.
The USGS website said the epicenter of the 4.3 magnitude earthquake Saturday afternoon was about 16 Kilometers west of Whitesburg, near the Virginia line.
Residents in both states, as well as West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Indiana, Ohio and Georgia, also reported feeling the temblor.
National Weather Service spokesman Jeff Carico said employees at the office in Jackson, Kentucky, which is about 320 Kilometers northwest of Whitesburg, felt the ground shake for about 15 seconds. He says the office has gotten numerous calls, but so far no one has reported any serious damage.
USGS geophysicist John Bellini said the quake is considered "light."
"It`s not going to cause any significant damage," he said.
Bellini said people near the epicenter might have pictures fall off walls or books tumble from shelves.
That`s exactly what happened at the Blackey Public Library, which is just west of Whitesburg in Letcher County and about 200 miles southeast of Louisville.
Library worker Bonnie Asher said she was coming downstairs when she heard a big boom. Asher said the entire building shook and the lights flickered off and on, and at first she thought maybe a plane had crashed nearby.
"It was very scary," she said. "It knocked about 14 books off one shelf."
Otherwise, though, she said it happened quickly and there wasn`t any lasting damage.
Whitesburg resident Charlotte Brown said she was at home and talking to a friend at her front door when she felt the ground start to shake just a little bit at first, then harder.
"It made me nervous," she said, but the shaking lasted only a few seconds and didn`t hurt anything."It did shake the house and the dishes rattled," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...