Earthquake shakes central New Zealand
Wellington: A strong earthquake shook central New Zealand on Friday, disrupting traffic and sending office workers scrambling for cover in the capital.
Some buildings in Wellington were evacuated, and items were knocked off shelves in places. Police were trying to verify reports that one house near the quake`s centre was severely damaged.
There were no initial reports of injuries.
The magnitude 6.8 quake struck just after 2:30 pm near the South Island town of Seddon, followed by a series of smaller aftershocks.
Boulders fell onto State Highway 1, the major route for traffic near Seddon, said police spokeswoman Barbara Dunn. She said she was trying to verify reports that one home in Seddon had been severely damaged.
The US Geological Survey said the epicentre was 94 kilometres west of Wellington at a depth of 10 kilometres. Local authorities issued no tsunami warnings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!