Earthquake shakes central New Zealand
Wellington: A strong earthquake shook central New Zealand on Friday, disrupting traffic and sending office workers scrambling for cover in the capital.
Some buildings in Wellington were evacuated, and items were knocked off shelves in places. Police were trying to verify reports that one house near the quake`s centre was severely damaged.
There were no initial reports of injuries.
The magnitude 6.8 quake struck just after 2:30 pm near the South Island town of Seddon, followed by a series of smaller aftershocks.
Boulders fell onto State Highway 1, the major route for traffic near Seddon, said police spokeswoman Barbara Dunn. She said she was trying to verify reports that one home in Seddon had been severely damaged.
The US Geological Survey said the epicentre was 94 kilometres west of Wellington at a depth of 10 kilometres. Local authorities issued no tsunami warnings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi