East African leaders to meet to discuss South Sudan crisis
Zee Media Bureau
Juba: Even as hundreds have been feared dead in the ongoing conflict in South Sudan, East African leaders are due to meet in Kenya and take stock of the situation there.
The developments came on the heels of President of South Sudan, Salva Kiir, meeting Kenyan President and Ethiopian PM.
In another development, the United Nations peacekeeping reinforcements is expected to arrive in the strife torn city soon. The UN Security Council voted to almost double the number of peacekeeping force in the country. South Sudan is world`s newest nation. It became independent from Sudan in 2011
As per reports, thousands of civilians have sought refuge in UN compounds.
The violence broke over a week back due to clashes between troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and those backing his rival Riek Machar, a former vice president who was sacked in July. Ethnic mass killings and rape has also been reported from the country.
The unrest has taken on an ethnic dimension, pitting Kiir`s Dinka tribe against the Nuer tribe to which Machar belongs.
UN chief Ban Ki-moon has warned warring factions that reports of crimes against humanity will be investigated.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof