Eastern Ukrainian civilians need urgent assistance: Red Cross
Kiev: The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has said that civilians in eastern Ukraine are in need of immediate assistance due to the on-going crisis in the area.
"It is very important that aid reaches people in Luhansk and in other areas in the eastern region which have sustained heavy fighting over the past weeks," ICRC head of operations for Europe and Central Asia, Laurent Corbaz, said in a statement Monday.
"The situation is critical, thousands of people are without any access to water, electricity and medical aid," Xinhua quoted Corbaz as saying.
In response to the latest initiative of the Russian authorities to help people and areas affected by conflict in eastern Ukraine, the ICRC is ready to facilitate such an operation with the involvement, endorsement and support of all sides concerned.
On Monday ICRC officials met Ukrainian and Russian authorities and shared a document which specifies the manner in which such an operation could take place.
This includes an agreement by all sides that the ICRC will be allowed to deliver aid with neutrality, impartiality and independence.
According to the UN, the conflict in eastern Ukraine has claimed the lives of over 1,500 people and injured 4,390.
Almost 850,000 people has been displaced and forced to flee their homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’